Monday, September 20, 2010

Football!

Since my last post, the National Football League has returned to action. And the Bears are 2-0. Also, Carlos Gonzalez is the latest to fall victim to the Buffalo Pharmer curse (see also: the MLB.com survivor contest, Monday blog entries, the 2009 Chicago Bears, P1 class president, the Chicago Cubs as a franchise) . He hasn't hit a home run since I wrote the MVP article, and the triple crown looks like it won't happen this year. In fact, Troy Tulowitzki looks more like the MVP candidate than CarGo right now. Whatever.

A classmate of mine sent me a link to this article, in case I needed something to blog about. At first I thought, no thanks, I don't want to write about that. Then I remembered that I take requests, so I thought I'd chip in my two cents. The article admonishes Derek Jeter for acting hurt after a pitch hit the butt of his bat. The basic idea is that while this sort of thing happens all the time in baseball, it's not typical for Derek Jeter to behave like anything but a model citizen. I guess I agree with that, but I sort of don't care. A lot of stuff goes on in baseball that isn't really the most honorable. Pitchers throw at hitters. Players apply phantom tags, and get away with it. Matt Holliday slides right past home plate and the Rockies go to the World Series. This writer seems to be making a big deal out of nothing and, rather than showing Jeter to be a cheater, I think he shows the opposite. If this is the biggest thing we can get on Jeter, how much can we really say about him? A ball came close to hitting him, and he hammed it up enough to get first base. Chances are his reaction to the pitch had nothing to do with the call. My guess is the ump thought it actually hit him on the hand, and logically awarded him the base. I don't think major league umpires are in the business of making calls based on the player's reaction, for the most part. Also, all the bad calls and missed plays average out over the course of the season. I'm sure at some point, the Yankees lost a close call, probably even a wrong call, and ended up losing the game. So Jeter overreacts and ends up scoring and winning the game. Let's move on.

Anyway, since you asked, that's what I feel about it. Keep your requests coming! For my next entry, I'm going to talk about something I totally haven't mentioned this year, which is school. Isn't that a novel topic for my pharmacy school blog? Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: